Monday, October 14, 2013

The Unplanned Trip to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico


   Sometimes the best trips are the ones that you did not plan out and just take off at the spur of the moment. Well, that's exactly what I did, I just went. Having a little time off of work I set off to the Greyhound bus station and bought a ticket to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, the magical silver city I remember reading about in a Lonely Planet guidebook. Going by bus was a very easy way to travel Mexico because Greyhound has an agreement with the Mexican bus companies as they get lots of migrants going back to Mexico to see their families. The ride was very interesting and I got to see the sights and experience things and meet people I would not have if I was flying. I found the Mexican bus system to be excellent and in many ways superior to what we have in the U.S. The buses are top notch, they have fully reclining seats and show the latest American movies. The ride to San Miguel de Allende was mostly through the desert, although beautiful, it seemed like the ride never ended after travelling for more than a day.

   One day and four hours after setting out from New Orleans the long ride was finally over. I arrived at the perfect time as the sun was coming up. Exiting the bus station, a taxi driver asked me if I wanted a ride, but travelling with only a backpack I walked. After being on a bus for all that time, it was good to strech my legs. The bus station was about 2 miles outside of of the city center, and walking gave me a little time to take in my first sights of the city. Looking at the cobblestone streets and old colorful buildings I was just in awe at the city I've been dreaming about going to for years.


   Founded in 1542, San Miguel de Allende grew wealthy off of silver and was one of New Spain's most affluent cities, many of the buildings are well over 400 years old. The Mexican independence movement also has its roots there, and many of Mexico's founding fathers hail from the city. Juan Aldama and Ignacio Allende (the city's namesake) were born there. After World War II, American veterans discovered the wonderful city, and since then Americans have been flocking there. San Miguel has one of the largest population of Americans living in Mexico outside of Mexico City.







   Much of the history of the city took place around the plaza. The main tree shaded plaza is surrounded by charming buildings with balconies and is where a very beautiful church is located. The Parish Church of San Miguel is an extraordinary piece of architecture built by a self taught indigenous mason using photos from Europe as the inspiration for its pink Gothic facade. It is one of the many churches that dot San Miguel's skyline. you can see them good from the viewpoint outside of town.

   The main market was very interesting. The stalls were close together and the vendors were selling everything from produce to pottery to silver. When I was walking the maze I truly felt I was in another world, like being in a Middle Eastern bazaar. Working up an appetite, I had some quesadillas with some agua de melon (cantaloupe juice) before setting out to escape the city because no matter how wonderful the city is I need some breathing space. I made my way to the Charco del Ingenio on the outskirts of town. The Charco del Ingenio is a nature preserve that is involved with the conservation of the local wildlife and cactus. At last I found the breath of relief I needed. Walking through the trails I encountered a canyon with an amazing viewpoint. It was one of the highlights of the trip. I would highly recommend the reserve for anyone looking to take a breather from the city.





   I could go on writing all night about the splendors of San Miguel de Allende. The cobblestone streets, old homes, Charco del Ingenio, and most of all, the people are what makes San Miguel a wonderful place. I have the feeling I will be back there someday on another 'random trip', God willing.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome Shane! Very few people can pack-up and go like that. I didn't realize that it was so easy to travel by bus between the US and Mexico. I guess I have been reading too much news. I will keep this in mind for the future.

    I appreciate the follow and connecting with a fellow Louisiana native who likes to travel! Keep up the good work.

    Andy
    BackpackingDiplomacy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy a round trip ticket book for about $300 with Greyhound from most places in the US, they do business with the Mexican bus companies. All you have to do is change your tickets with the Mexican bus company once you get to the bus station in Mexico. You could even go on Greyhound's website and plan the whole trip. The buses in Mexico are not what most people expect them to be. They're very top notch, in fact much better than Greyhound. Good luck with your travels and God bless, fellow Louisianian.

    ReplyDelete